Sunday, March 6, 2011

Risky Business


The usual grind


Interrupted by your presence


Heart racing, palms sweaty


My mind becomes heavy as I try to form words


Nothing comes out, yet I know I'm ready


It's now or never


One shot


I've planned this day for awhile


Yet it seems so sudden


What if the answer is no?


What if my anticipation is responded with laughter?


Snapped back into reality by the forward motion


Two minutes left; [Ding] next stop Risky Rd


Say something! Anything...c'mon!


Eyes closed shut


God please a little help here


I smile to myself as I watch my miracle slowly roll to my feet


E...E...excuse me miss, you dropped your pen


Oh, thanks. What's your name?


Jamal


Hi Jamal, I'm Melissa


Doors shut


[Ding] next stop Union Sq



-Original Poem by CherL




As Jamal can attest to, approaching someone can be a very anxiety causing ordeal. I think most of the anxiety comes from being in a vulnerable state. Vulnerability comes with the fear of being rejected, which is the opposite of what we seek; acceptance and ultimately love. In a past conference about Godly relationships, I learned that people respond to this anxiety in two ways. They either A) Take the risks for the possibility of higher rewards or B) Minimize risk to control the known. How does this translate in our relationship with others? Well, lets look at how Jesus does it. In a society that reveres conservative doctrines, Jesus' ministry always went against societal norms. He built relationships with sinners, the poor, and unbelievers at the risk of social rejection by His own. Jesus greatest commandment is to love others as He loved. His love involved taking risks so I think it's safe to infer that relationships do come with risks. So, for our single ladies out there, are we rejecting men because of the fear of the unknown? Are we afraid that the unknown is too costly? Are we waiting for seven signs of miracles and wonders for "The One" and possibly missing opportunities to build relationships around us? One of this blog's purposes is to serve as a platform to explore our relationships in a Godly manner in the same manner keeping it real with ourselves. We're not experts but through discussion and dialogue maybe we can help each other grow in our relationships with others.



POW


Phenomenally Outstanding Women


CherL & Jovi

No comments:

Post a Comment